Text: “Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto
perfection;” Hebrews 6:1.
By Dr. Phil Dillingham
Introduction: Some Christians are satisfied to remain babes in Christ. They do not wish to continue to grow in the knowledge of the deeper things in scripture. Paul says that we need to leave the “milk of the Word “and mature so that we can eat the “meat of the Word”. We will never be perfect, but we are to try to reach that goal. The saying to “try, try again.” is so true in this case.
- Paul’s Challenge-“let us go on unto perfection”
(1) “Let us” We are encouraged to join Paul in striving for perfection.
(2) “go” To advance with haste and purpose.
(3) “unto perfection” Means until we reach our goal or destination.
II Paul’s Confession-“Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after,” Philippians 3:12-14.
(1) Had not yet attained perfection. (In verse 12)
(2) Had not yet apprehended that for which he was apprehended. (In verse 12-13)
(3) Was still pressing toward the mark. (In verse 14)
III Paul’s Confidence-“God gave some, apostles,…, prophets,…, evangelists:…, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints,” Ephesians 4: 11-13.
(1) God has given the way for our perfection. (In verse 11)
(2) God has given the reason for perfecting us. (In verse 13)
(a) “Till we all come in the unity of faith.” (In verse 13)
(b) “and of the knowledge of the Son of God,” (In verse 13)
(c) “unto a perfect man,” (In verse 13)
(d) “unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.” (In verse 13)
IV Paul’s Correction-“That we be no more children,” Ephesians 4: 13-15.
(1) Too many are still like children. (In verse 13)
(2) Easily fooled, tricked, deceived, tossed to and fro. (In verse 14)
(3) Need to grow up; “unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:” (In verse 13).
Fully grown and mature.
Conclusion: If you grow into a mature Christian; you will know what you believe and why you believe it. No false doctrine can raise doubt in your mind. Your foundation will be firm, standing on the Rock of Your Salvation—Jesus Christ.