“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.” (I Corinthians 12:7)
- All Gifts Are to Exalt Christ. (I Corinthians 12: 3 ).
- Christ is the centerpiece to all of Christianity. The book of Acts says, “In him we live, and move and have our being.” (Acts 17:28). All that Christians have and all they do is because Christ abides in them.
- Christ is the message of the New Testament. All the messages and promises point either directly or indirectly to Christ; and all gifts should too.
- Christ is to be glorified by all the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The only reason for gifts is to glorify Christ through the church.
- All Gifts Are for Building up the Church; the Body of Christ. (I Corinthians 12:7).
- The church is the body of Christ. (I Corinthians 12:27). In order for the body to function as it should, to exalt the life of Christ and be strong; it needs to be built up. The gifts of the Spirit are for this purpose.
- The church was divinely established by Christ. (Matthew 16:18). God put the church in place to spread the gospel of Christ and his kingdom on earth. For the church to carry out this work, it must have the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- The church is the only place to show the fullness of Christ. (I Corinthians 12:12). A body has many parts and assembled together they manifest the whole body. The gifts of the Holy Spirit represent the parts of the body and when they come together they represent the whole body.
III. All Gifts and for the Good of All. (I Corinthians 12:7).
- Gifts are to complement and support all the others. Each gift is to work in relationship to all the others. None should work independently of the others.
- We are to use our gifts to support and complement the gifts of other Christians. This makes it possible for the work of the church and Christ to make progress.
- All Gifts Are Very Important.
- This is a truth that we must understand. Each person is to take an inventory of their abilities; thank God for them, and use them to exalt Christ and build his church.
- This is what will make the world take notice of the church. (Acts 2:46-47).
“And they, continuing daily with one accord …. did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”
- All Gifts Are to Be in Accordance with God’s Word.
- The Bible is the inspired word of God.
“All scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (II Timothy 3:16). The Spirit uses the Word to inspire, inform and to conform us to Christ. He gives us the ability to understand and discern the work of the Spirit.
Conclusion: We all have been given gifts. It now becomes our duty and privilege to discover and use them to glorify Christ.